First Time Investor's Quick Links:
Powerball - Kitco Pool Account - Coca Cola -
Precious Metals - Kmart - Kodak - Sears -
Turner Broadcasting - Walmart

Monday, April 09, 2007

Someone paid off our mortgage

We got two interesting pieces of mail this week from our credit union:

1) A waiver of all miscellaneous fees because our balance is greater than $100K.

That's right, our credit union states that because our cumulative balance is greater than a hundred thousand, they will now waive fees such as non-Credit Union ATM fees, stop-payment orders, overdraft service charges, etc. Cool! The only problem is that we don't have over $100,000 at the credit union. We don't even have over $20K there.

So I said to myself, OK, I am willing to let this ONE mistake slide, but the NEXT TIME this institution makes some kind of mistake on my account, Man! I am gonna be all over them!

2) A statement indicating the balance of our mortgage has been Paid In Full.

Yes, you read that right. We got our monthly statement that showed TWO payments instead the usual one. One with the regular monthly payment, and one showing a payment that equals the remaining balance on our mortgage, leaving a balance of zero dollars and zero cents. This represents a change of well over a hundred grand.

It occurred to me that I may have been a bit hasty in my resolve to jump on my credit union if they made more than that one mistake. I'm feeling more forgiving now, and I think I'll let this one slide, too.

But I swear, if they make THREE mistakes, they will definitely be hearing from me.

.

UPDATE - 04/21/2007:

Here's what the original statement looked like. My first theory was that it was some kind of April Fool joke. Look at the Due Date!







Now look what we got in today's mail:







No offer of any kind of explanation - no apology, just a new statement. Oh, well, for a few weeks we had "documentation" that we paid off our mortgage. Such a relief! (Though only temporary - *sigh*)
.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the name of your credit union? I'd like to sign up!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger briliantdonkey said...

Phantasmix stole the words right out of my fingers.

BD

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Yeah, that Phantasmix. She's a quickie, alright. (Wait, that didn't sound right. No implication intended, P!)

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accused of stealing and called a 'quickie'! What kind of a blog is this?

;-P

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:56:00 AM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Well, it started off as a resource for first-time investors, but as you know, "The Blogosphere" adjusts things as it sees fit. I hope that doesn't turn you away ........

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it WAS an April Fool's joke - it's pretty funny, though unusual for a financial institution.

I wonder if they checked with their legal department before doing it :) Watch out for some lawsuits to add to your Grave story. "The two bills were confusing and caused me much emotional distress."

Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

I considered it may have been a joke, but then scoffed it off considering that would be just too weird for an institution. Although, if it was a joke, they may have been giving away free junk for those who complained - just as a consolation - and as a way to introduce new products.

Regarding new lawsuits for my post (Watch Your Step) you may be right, given it was a lawsuit that generated the concern to begin with.

Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no, SO close! I wish it could have been real, haha! Imagine not having to worry about your mortgage anymore because someone had a heart of gold! Still, I would probably have been pretty suspicious about it as well, since it wasn’t exactly a small payment to make. Glad it got cleared up in the end.

-- Domingo Phong

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger Abdul said...

You had such an amazing incident. However, an incident like that can happen, although not everytime. Obviously, an error had occurred during that time. The good thing is that they are able to trace it immediately. The incident may sound funny, but if that wasn't corrected, it can give you a hassle when it comes to legalities.

South-Carolina.ChurchillMortgage.com

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home