First Time Investor's Quick Links:
Powerball - Kitco Pool Account - Coca Cola -
Precious Metals - Kmart - Kodak - Sears -
Turner Broadcasting - Walmart

Thursday, March 22, 2007

What would YOU do?

OK, here's the circumstance. You tell a friend you're headed to Las Vegas for a week of fun and excitement. He pulls a dollar from his pocket and says, "Great! Will you put this into a slot machine for me and give me whatever winnings that slot pays for my dollar please?"

You say, Sure, why not, and put his dollar in a specific pocket of your wallet or purse.

You go to Vegas and have a great time. You see some shows, gamble a little, and eat way too much.

On your last day, you remember your promise. So you reach into the special pocket where you find the dollar your friend gave you and put it into a slot. You pull the handle, the wheels quickly turn, and one by one they stop as follows:

  • Cherry
  • Cherry
  • Cherry

Bing Bing Bing! Twenty thousand dollars. On your return, what would you do?

(For the purposes of this discussion, please disregard tax consequences.)

Would you ...

1. Hand your friend two dollars and say, "You doubled your money!"

2. Give him ten thousand and keep ten grand for yourself.

3. Give him some other amount and keep an amount for yourself. How much?

4. Tell him you won $20K with the dollar he gave you and declare how much he's getting. How much?

5. Tell him YOU won $20K while in Vegas and would like to share some with him, because he's been such a good friend. How much?

6. Give him the whole $20,000, but hint like crazy that he should give you some for the effort.

7. Give him the $20,000, and make no attempts to receive anything in return. (Bonus if you make a fuss over accepting such a gesture.)

8. Give him a heartfelt pat on the back, saying "better luck next time," and spend the entire wad on yourself. After all, who can prove who's dollar it was?

9. Another choice?
.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger James Burnett said...

I'd like to say I'd gladly give the friend all $20K, say congrats, and walk away. Deep down inside I'd be hoping the friend would give me a finder's fee.

Realistically though, I'd be extremely tempted to give them 80%, tell them that's all they won, and keep 20% for myself as a "finder's" fee. And I admit the odds are more than 50% that I'd succumb to the temptation.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd probably: "Give him the whole $20,000, but hint like crazy that he should give you some for the effort."

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:07:00 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I would say, "gee, I don't know which dollar was the one that I won with", and split.

Mostly because I think the chances of me being sober enough to hold onto $1 separate from the amount of cash I'm bringing to Vegas is just about zero.

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

James, just four grand for yourself? That wouldn't even pay for your flights from SoFla and a good week's stay. I'm giving YOU my dollar!

Freddie, that would take some heavy-duty hinting for some that The Sarcasticynic hangs out with.

Lee, that's why I never mentioned drinking in the premise!

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger James Burnett said...

Well, Sarc, I'm basing my answer on: the assumption that I'd be sober enough to know when exactly I'm using the friend's dollar, the assumption that I would be guilt-ridden if I didn't tell. I'm a terrible fibber. I've tried. Never works for me.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

I am way too honest. firstly I would not have taken the money or made the promise. I'd never remember to honor it and that would make me feel bad. IF I did take the money and follow your scenario: I would have made a stupid show to the people I went with that I was loading that persons dollar and then I would have witnesses. I would hand it to that person with no issues and a clear concious. they might miss a dollar or two for a drink or two I will need at the airport and maybe a pack of m&m's, but they'll understand.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Ms Olives, I decided to give my dollar to you instead. Sorry James!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home